Sunday, July 20, 2008

Homemade Frappuccino




We are now living in a country that grows a good amount of the coffee that Starbucks uses, but there is not a single Starbucks here....I agree with them (there's not much market for a Starbucks here), but I'm on my own for Frappuccinos...and I've found something that works really well (and doesn't cost $4 a cup).

Step 1: Brew 2 cups of coffee (or wait for the day that no one wants to finish the last 2 cups in the coffee pot).

Step 2: Add a big spoonful of powdered milk
(If you are in the States, you will only be able to find fat-free powdered milk...if you are overseas like us, go for the good stuff, 2% or more).

Step 3: Add sugar, flavored syrups, hot chocolate powder to taste.
(I like Ovaltine in spite of it's annoying commercials, since it doesn't have hydrogenated oils...here in Costa Rica I buy the one in the orange bag...no idea what it's called since I immediately dump it into the frequently depleted cannister that I keep going)

Step 4: Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze it.

Step 5: When you are ready to drink it...put the cubes (half or all) in the blender with milk. It's a good amount for 2 people.

Step 6: Keep your eye open for the next pot of unfinished coffee and repeat.

My kids usually try to steal some of this from me when I'm making it...I'll have to come up with a coffee-free version sometime. Our empleada says it tastes like ice cream :-) Since it isn't made with plain ice, it stays good even while it's melting...it never gets watery at the end.

Take that Starbucks...I can live without you!

No comments: